Oriental Rug Appraisal For Storm-Damaged Rugs
When a home floods and restoration professionals are called to save the structure and contents, it’s rare the restoration company’s area of expertise is in Persian or Oriental textiles. The company will likely have ZERO experience or certification with Oriental and Persian rugs. For this reason, do not take the word of a technician that you should throw out your valuable area rug just because it got wet!
How Oriental Rug Salon Helps Save Area Rugs And Settle Insurance Claims
Oriental Rug Salon helps rug owners evaluate and appraise their cherished area rugs while helping provide the necessary information to settle insurance claims when their rugs get damaged. Insurance companies also reach out to us to confirm proper professional evaluation of rugs filed as a loss on insurance claims. Our job is to assess the rug’s value before and after the damage resulting in an insurance claim. What you might not know is that we include in an Oriental Rug Appraisal.
The Five Values We Provide to You Or your Insurance Company
- The value of the rug if it had no damage and was in perfect condition before the incident
- The actual value of the rug before the incident if it had any unrelated prior damage (the preexisting condition of the rug)
- The value of the rug after the damaging incident
- Historical information about the rug, including type, size, and other information
- The replacement value of the rug and auction data used to determine the current value
When evaluating rugs for valuation or claim damage, our Rug Master CAN tell when a rug has damage that existed before the incident. A good example would be a water-damaged rug with threadbare patches from moth activity—flooding, fires, and other natural disasters all damage rugs in specific and recognizable ways. Since our Rug Master knows the type of incident that caused the claimed damage, we can provide an appraisal accepted by courts, rug professionals, importers, rug collectors, and major insurers. In over 95% of all valuations and appraisals issued, we rely on specific photographic evidence provided by the rug owner.
Water Can Damage The Foundation And Pile Of An Area Rug In The Following Ways:
- If your Oriental or Persian area rug stays in water or mud for a long time, the foundation (wefts and warps) can be damaged or even rot. A brittle foundation can lead to holes and tears in the rug.
- Water can cause mold and mildew, leading to health and respiratory issues.
- If the yarn dyes are not stable, water can cause dye migration, meaning that the colors of a darker yarn may bleed into a lighter color.
- Water can deposit bacteria that can off-gas and release allergens, thereby degrading indoor air quality.
The Value Of An Oriental or Persian Appraisal
Oriental Rug Salon performs hundreds of appraisals annually for clients across the United States. The clients can be insurance companies, the State or Federal Courts, rug retailers and collectors, interior designers, restoration companies, and rug owners who simply cherish their area rugs.
Our appraisals contain information such as the type of rug evaluated, its approximate age, historical data, retail and auction data, and other tidbits the appraiser may choose to include.
Most appraisals are requested because the rug owner needs a valuation for insurance purposes or wants help identifying the type of rug and where it was made. Others are interested in the rug’s age, while others want to know its value for donation, estate, or sale purposes. Whatever the reason for appraisal, without one, if something happens to the area rug that would require a claim, the insurance company could care less what you paid for the rug. The truth is most rug buyers overpay at the retail level.
What To Do If Your Rug Is Damaged During A Flood Event
- Remove the area rug from the source of flooding ASAP
- If you have one, use a Shop-Vac to extract as much water from the rug as you can
- Place a fan on the rug to help facilitate drying
- Call Oriental Rug Salon, and we’ll pick your rug up and begin restoration services
Oriental Rug Salon is a Certified Partner with the prestigious Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) and the International Carpet & Rug Institute (CRI). We are a Wool Safe Certified Service Provider and have our own Rug Master and Appraiser on staff. WE KNOW RUGS!
If your cherished area rug is ever involved in a flood event or it’s just that time for a thoroughly exhaustive area rug cleaning, give Oriental Rug Salon a call at 239-424-8171 or visit us online at www.OrientalRugSalon.com.
You can also visit us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/OrientalRugSalon/
Oriental and Persian Area Rug Cleaning – Oriental Rug Appraisals. We service clients across the United States and offer FREE pick-up and delivery for most area rugs throughout Lee, Collier, and Charlotte County, Florida.