Approximately 33% of all Oriental, Persian, Turkish and other wool and silk area rugs Oriental Rug Salon is asked to clean contains pet urine.
Pets can wreak havoc on nice rugs, especially when they have accidents. Pet urine, feces and “hairballs” can leave permanent stains and cause dye migration if not addressed quickly.
Pet urine can also cause permanent damage to your wool and silk area rugs and create an unhealthy indoor environment.
When urine is first deposited, it has a pH of about 5 or 6, which is on the acid side of the pH Scale. It is easier to remove right then when it is fresh. Once it dries, it turns “alkaline” or to a high pH between 10 to12 on the scale and becomes more difficult to remove. The warm acid state of the urine offers a perfect breeding ground for bacteria, which begin to flourish almost immediately.
When left unattended, urine deposits can lead to dry rot, dye migration, bacterial growth, and permanent staining. The off-gassing of the urine and associated bacteria can be nauseous and leave behind scent markers letting your pets know that it’s ok to continue to treat your cherished area rug as a “dumping ground.”
At Oriental Rug Salon, we’re experts in the treatment of pet accidents that affect Oriental, Persian, Turkish and other wool or silk textiles.
Our thoroughly exhaustive process begins with an inspection of your area rug with Xenon lighting so that we can determine the extent of the pet urine bacteria. We then:
- Dust the rug at 40,000 harmonic vibrations per minute to dislodge deep set urine salts, dirt, sand, dust mites, pollen, and other contaminants
- A specialized bath of enzymes is prepared, and the area rug is submerged for a period of 24 hours. This bath is safe for about 95% of all textile types. The enzymes will attack and consumer the bacteria along with any remaining urine salts. For textiles that cannot be wet cleaned, we have an alternative process for those
- The area rug is then placed in a separate bath where it is submerged and washed on both sides by hand
- A pH condition rinse is then introduced to ensure no residues, urine salts or other contaminants are left behind
- We dry each area rug on an air table and inspect with a moisture meter until the textile is 100% dry
- A final inspection takes place and once approved by the Rug Master; we introduce an allergen-free light deodorizer, finishing agent and then set the pile of the rug
- The area rug is wrapped and prepared for delivery
Oriental Rug Salon is a full-service master cleaner of all wool and silk rug and textile types. We are a Certified partner with the prestigious Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) and the International Carpet & Rug Institute (CRI). In addition, we are A+ rated with the Better Business Bureau and a five-year-in-a-row-winner of the coveted Angie’s List Super Service Award.
For more information on our cleaning, rug repair or pet urine services for Oriental and Persian area rugs, please visit Oriental Rug Salon online at www.OrientalRugSalon.com or call us any time at 239-424-8171.
Oriental Rug Salon’s Services Include: Oriental, Turkish, Persian Area Rug Cleaning | Wool and Silk Area Rug Cleaning |Area Rug Padding | Pet Urine Treatments for Oriental Rugs | Fringe Repair | Oriental Area Rug Repairs | Oriental Area Rug Appraisals and Valuations | Wool and Silk Fiber Protector | Area Rug Moth and Insect Control | Area Rug Deodorization
Oriental Rug Cleaning Cape Coral | Fort Myers | North Fort Myers | Fort Myers Beach | Estero | Bonita Springs | Naples | Marco Island | Sanibel | Captiva | Useppa | Lehigh Acres | Punta Gorda | Port Charlotte | Fort Myers Beach | North Fort Myers | Alva | Buckingham | Matlacha | Saint James City | Bokeelia Florida
We also accept Oriental, Turkish and Persian rugs via UPS worldwide.