Machine Washing Area Rugs – A BIG No-No!
Some area rug cleaners in SW Florida use industrial style washing machines to “clean” precious wool and silk area rugs. This type of cleaning is called “batch style” because multiple area rugs can be gang-washed at the same time. This type of cleaning is designed to increase the rug cleaning plants efficiency which ultimately adds more profits because little skill is required and they can clean multiple rugs at the same time.
Batch Machine washing, in our opinion, is best left for car washes and here’s why:
- Your area rugs are thrown in a tank with other people’s rugs. What if your area rug did not contain pet urine but one of the other area rugs did? Sure, the users of production machine washers would have you believe they use “special chemicals” to prevent cross-contamination however the facts are, your rug is washed in a bath of pet urine.
- Batch washing does not allow for individualized care. All rugs are washed at the same, in the same bath without the advantage of a rug cleaning expert throughout the entire process.
- What happens if one of the area rugs being washed with yours “bleeds” during the cleaning process? Guess where those dyes end up?
- As your rug tumbles in this industrial washing machine, your neighbor’s filthy rug will deposit sand, dirt, dust mites and other contaminants throughout the wash on neighboring rugs. YUCK!
- Batch-washing is impersonal and for the most part, unsupervised. Your heirloom and treasured wool and silk area rugs deserve better.
Also, you should NEVER allow a carpet cleaning company the opportunity to risk ruining your area rug by “cleaning” it using the same equipment they would clean your carpeting and tile with. To properly clean a Persian, wool or silk area rug, it must be submerged washed by experienced textile professionals.
- Area rugs that are hand washed received individualized attention – from the time they enter our facility throughout the inspection, cleaning and drying process.
- A Xenon light test is performed on each area rug to uncover hidden pockets of pet urine and moth evidence.
- A dye bleed test is performed to identify any rogue dyes that may bleed during the cleaning process so that preventive action can be taken.
- Each rug is identified by age, style, fiber content and contaminate level so that the appropriate cleaning solutions, pH, and expertise can be afforded.
- Each rug is thoroughly dusted, submerged in the appropriate cleaning solutions, washed by hand (both sides), pH conditioned rinsed and air table dried.
- Any fringes are washed twice. Once during the initial cleaning process and once again after the rug has dried to ensure they are as clean as possible.
Hand washing involves multiple steps performed by an experienced-certified rug cleaning professional. All cleaning procedures are dictated by a rug master in a rug cleaning plant dedicated to the cleaning, restoration, and repair of Oriental, wool and silk area rugs.
Unlike machine style batch washing where an operator pushes a start button and waits for the cycle to finish, hand washing takes skill, patience, and knowledge of hand-knotted wool and silk area rugs. A skill your hand-knotted area rugs deserve to preserve their vibrant color and longevity.
Oriental Rug Salon is SW Florida’s most experienced area rug cleaning company. All area rugs are washed by hand under the watchful guidance of an experienced rug master.
We believe mechanical washing is best left to car washes and play no role in the “cleaning” of treasured works of art.
Mechanical rug washing is impersonal and all rugs are treated the same. In the real world, each area rug has a story to tell and the only way to preserve the story along with the beauty of your treasured Oriental rug is by a thoroughly exhaustive hand washing.
Oriental Rug Salon is a Certified Partner with the prestigious Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) and the international Carpet & Rug Institute (CRI). In addition, we are A+ rated with the Better Business Bureau and Angie’s List and our cleaning solutions are safe for area rugs, infants, and pets.
Please LIKE US on Facebook to receive tips and money-saving coupons on cleaning services and repairs. Our Facebook address is: https://www.facebook.com/OrientalRugSalon/
Services Provided: Oriental Rug Cleaning | Wool Area Rug Cleaning | Silk Area Rug Cleaning | Fringe Repair | Oriental Rug Repair | Pet Urine Treatment | Moth Treatment and Repairs | Area Rug Valuations and Appraisals
Oriental Rug Cleaning Cape Coral | Naples | Bonita Springs | Marco Island | Bonita Springs | Estero | Fort Myers | Sanibel | Punta Gorda | Lehigh Acres | North Fort Myers | Fort Myers Beach | Pine Island | Bokeelia | St. James City | Alva | Buckingham | Port Charlotte | Sarasota | Captiva | Useppa